Home

Thursday, January 11, 2024

A devotee who sees Christ

Quiapo Church, Nazareno - they are very, very, very dear to me.  All of us have stories to tell about how the Black Nazarene changed our lives, but all of these stories differ from the others. 

I fell from the ladder when I was a year old. I was rushed to the hospital and had been in a critical condition. I will not say any more what happened after, but it was indeed a miracle that I escaped death. Fast forward, my parents vowed to bring me to a church in Sto Nino, Pampanga every fiesta until I was seven years old. 

After fulfilling it, I was vowed to hear Mass at Quiapo Church every Friday with my mommy (for a lifetime). I was always excited to go to Quiapo Church to hear Mass and wear that maroon dress (same as the Nazareno) with a yellow belt. Aside from those, I was also looking forward to eating lugaw (P5.00/bowl), and my mother would also buy bananas (senorita) for me to eat while heading home.

I never failed to do it every Friday until I was in high school and college. There were times that I couldn't go because I was in school the whole day. The more I felt guilty when the time came that I had to work. Since then, I seldom hear Mass every Friday at Quiapo Church.

I need not say I am a devotee (hindi ako pumapasan, humila ng lubid o kasama sa sea of devotees na sumama sa prusisyon). But as a silent believer, I have my own ways to show my devotion to Him. My relationship with the Lord goes beyond going to church.

But He is a good Lord. He never fails me. My work in the Archdiocese of Manila is not a coincidence. It was His will. It was His plan. I get to serve Him while working. He doesn't want me to be in other places. He wants me near Him.

I am fortunate because I may not get to visit Him every Friday, but He blessed me with work in the Office of Communications of the Archdiocese of Manila where I get to serve Him every day.













The theme of Nazareno 2024, "Nais po naming makita si Hesus" suits the things I've been through. I see Christ in my pain and joy. Christ sees me. He hears and answers my prayers. And through my work, I am given the chance to let others see Christ.

My life is not perfect. I am not perfect either. There were times that I failed and felt weak, helpless, and almost lost hope. But come to think of it, the Lord has endured a lot of pain than I have. But He still managed to carry the cross even until the end to save me - that is why I am still here, alive! 

Sometimes, we have to change our perceptions and our views in life. There is no such thing as perfect happiness. All of us suffer and struggle. And our travails pull us down and stumble. We cannot remove the cross on our shoulders but we can pray to God how to carry it without losing our hope.

The Lord allows us to become weak for us to realize how much we need Him. Let our faith in Him grow deeper and as we deepen our devotion to the Nazareno, we also cultivate our values that will allow others to see Christ in the things that we do.

Three years after the surge of COVID, I got the chance to serve Him again on that very special day through my work (which sometimes I don't consider as work but a mission). 

The sea of devotees amazes me every time I cover the event. But this year, it was different. I saw the other side of the coin. Devotees come not only because they are devotees, but they are devotees who place their hopes in the hands of God, praying and begging for His mercy and grace.

While waiting for the arrival of the Nazareno in front of San Sebastian Church in Plaza del Carmen for Dungaw, I had this feeling that I find hard to explain. I was gently moved and it struck me again - there were drops of tears (I got emotional). I don't know why. As I came to my senses, I deeply realized that God is God and that these people trust and believe in Him at the risk of their lives for Him.

Thank you, Jesus for the opportunity to serve you!  #Nazareno2024 #Traslacion2024

No comments:

Post a Comment